Atonement - Ian McEwan

clip_image001
image via wikipedia

Title: Atonement
writer: Ian McEwan

On a summer in 1935, Briony Tallis, a thirteen year-old aspiring writer, accuses her elder sister’s lover and gardener of a crime he did not commit. He is sent to jail then is sent off to fight during the war, where he is separated from her sister, Cecilia.

Then the novel switches to the future, where Briony is working as a nurse instead of going to Cambridge as a sort of penance. Robbie is at the war and corresponds with Cecilia through letters.

The book tells the story of how Briony tries to atone for the unforgivable, lifelong ruin she has done to Cecilia and Robbie’s lives.

There isn’t a lot to say about Atonement; it was beautifully written. Ian McEwan has writes elegantly and the plot nurtures very smoothly.

It’s was heart-warming, good read that I highly recommend.

My rating: 9/10

2 comments:

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!
Thanks for the comment!
Yes, in that school english is the most important thing we have to learn , so , I think this is better than my old school.
Great post and cool book.
Hope you are Ok :)
Kisses
Priscila :)

Stephie said...

Hi Zawan,
Thanks for the comment. I know, Twilight is nearly as big as Harry Potter!
I'll make a review as soon as I see the movie. It will be released on January, 2009 here in Argentina.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Stephie