One Hundred years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez

image

Today I have accomplished a great achievement – I’ve finished reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, a novella by the noted Colombian author, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who has written other great works including Chronicle of a Death Foretold – which I’ve already read and appreciated, and Love in the Time of Cholera.

I found One Hundred Years of Solitude quite a long book, and I wouldn’t have read it all if it wasn’t an amusing, clever story.

One Hundred Years of Solitude was not like any other novel I have read: it had no particular plot; it was rather a series of events that have happened in the fictional town of Macondo, which is similar to where Garcia Marquez grew up. The story covers more than a hundred years (according to Wikipedia), as you read about the lives of the Beuendia family through generations.

Although the story is purely fictional and has the wittiest happenings I’ve ever read – even wittier than Harry Potter – it seemed so real and magical.

Lots of parts in the book were skillfully hilarious and bizarre.

What confused me was that members of the Buendia family were named after each other, since the story went on for about seven generations; sometimes I couldn’t identify who was who.

As you read One Hundred Years of Solitude you’ll encounter war, amnesia, spirits, solitude, heavy rain, incredible Gypsies and supernatural amusements. The story also contains a shade of mystery behind it.

This surely is a book to read. It’s a very long book, but you’ll never regret reading it.

Visit Wikipedia to read more about One Hundred Years of Solitude.

19 comments:

Gabriela Sellart said...

Hi Zawan, I'm from Argentina. You left a comment on one of students' blog, that's how I came here.
Happy to read that you enjoyed reading A Hundred years of Solitude. García Marquez is one of my favourite writers, I think I've read almost all his books.
You're a great writer, Zawan. I'm sure being such a thoughtful reader must help you with your writing.
I'll read your other posts and your other blog and I'll surely come back.

Zawan said...

Yes, Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a great writer
thanks for stopping by
bye!

alex said...

lol thx i always put the song in the vid lol
so how've u been?

Stephie said...

Hi Zawan,
You left a comment on my blog. My name's Stephie and I'm 13 years old. Thanks for the comment!
You're such a great writer. I like Garcia Marquez's books. I love the way he writes.
Great blog!
Stephie :)
http://takingitfurther.blogspot.com

Stephie said...

Hi Zawan,
Great you liked the story! I'll follow your advice. Thanks!
Tell me about your country, how it is like? Do you have any hobbies?
Hope to hear from you soon,
Stephie :)
http://www.takingitfurther.blogspot.com

Zawan said...

@solange,
hi, i'm fine solange, school is not that bad
how r u doing?

Stephie said...

Hi again Zawan,
Thanks for the info about your country! I'm sure Sudan has a lot of wonderful places to visit. I have never gone there! But I'd like to :)
Hope to hear from you soon
Stephie :)

Priscila said...

Hi!
Yes ,Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a great writer!!
My name is Priscila.I am stephie´s sister and I am twelve.
I live in Argentina.It has beatiful places to visit.
What about Sudán?What is it like?

Kisses
Priscila
http://takingitfurther.blogspot.com

Zawan said...

Hi Priscilla
I'm twelve too
Sudan is hot and there aren't many activities for kids, but you can go to the museum or travel out of the city, where there are very nice places
I saw your blog, it's very creative...
what books do you like to read?

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!

I enjoy reading books like The Fugitive , Matilda and The lady in white but my favourite book is Dracula.
I like love stories too.
What about movies and sports?
My favourite movie is Ice Princess.
I like it because it talks about artistic skate and I practise it.
I don´t practise ice skating but I practise the other one that isn´t on ice.
Thanks for the comment on the blog!!
Hope to hear from you soon,
Kisses
Priscila

Priscila said...

Hi again Zawan!
I like the sisms too.
You are right , games shouldn´t cause stress.
Nice painting!
You are an artist!
About music I like... Miley Cyrus and Vanessa Mae(the violinist)But my favourite group is abba teens.
They are a tribute to abba.
What about you?
Keep in touch!!! :)
Kisses
Priscila

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!
I made the quiz about books.
Thanks , I enjoyed it a lot!
I answered the questions under your post , I didn´t use a link.

Keep in touch!!!
Kisses
Priscila

Priscila said...

Hi again Zawan!
Do you have a mail by hotmail?
If you have one we can chat.Well , we will have to arrange the time because the time here is different from sudán , you know.
Anyway...tell me your opinion about chatting.
keep in touch. :)
Kisses
Priscila

Priscila said...

Hi again Zawan!
I received your e-mail account.
I will send you mails... :).
Keep in touch!
Kisses
Priscila

Priscila said...

Hi zawan!
Of course you can delete it.
I was sending an e-mail to you.
Hope you will receive it.
Kisses
Priscila

Stephie said...

Hi Zawan,
I thought that perhaps we can meet each other more by chat. Do you chat? Do you like it?
Or you can just give me your e-mail.
Hope you like the idea.
Keep in touch,
Stephie

What are your hobbies? Mine are swimming, dancing and singing.
I also entered the link you gave to Wikipedia in this post.
Wikipedia has a lot of information.

Stephie said...

Hi Zawan,
I'll ask Priscilla for your e-mail.
Argetina is beautiful!
Thanks for the comment.
Stephie :)

Stephie said...

Hi Zawan!
Thanks for the comment; I agree summer is great!
What activities do you enjoy doing on summer?
Hope to hear from you son,
Stephie

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!
How are you?
Hope you are ok!
Have you received my e-mail?Please tell me because if you haven´t I sent the E-mail to a wrong e-mail account :)
Anyway I will send you more!
Miss you
Kisses
Priscila