The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Image:Kite runner.jpg
image via wikipedia

Yesterday, I finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, which is definitely a favorite of mine.

During their childhood, Amir and Hassan shared an inseparable friendship, despite their different beliefs, ethnicity and status.
Hassan is supposed to be the son of Amir's father's servant.

After a kite fighting tournament, Amir witnesses Hassan being raped by the bully, Assef, and doesn't defend him, which haunts him all his life.
Now Amir is an adult living in the United States and he has a chance to atone for what he had done in his childhood.

The Kite Runner is set in Afghanistan during the period of its invasion by the Soviet Army and the ruling of the Taliban.

 

Gripping and poignant, The Kite Runner is very well written. The twists and events in it are totally unexpected and moving.

Khaled Hosseini successfully manages to put you in the state of emotion of his characters. I like the way he portrays many different feelings, especially panic.

While reading, the story shifts to memories from the past very neatly.
I'm also very impressed at how the characters and events all link together in the end.

The story is heart-warming yet it is very realistic.

The Kite Runner is not just a dramatic story of a long-lost friendship; it vividly shows you through the eyes of the protagonist the effects the war left on Afghanistan.

The Kite Runner is a stunning read about friendship, betrayal and guilt. It also gives you an insightful understanding of the writer's homeland and its people.

If you haven't, you must pick-up this book and read it.

My rating: 10/10 (outstanding!)

I'm very eager to read Khaled Hosseini's other book, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and I'm also looking forward to seeing more from this author.

The Kite Runner has been made into an Oscar-nominated movie. Visit the official site.

Khaled Hosseini's website

Buy the book at amazon now

3 comments:

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!
Here we celebrate christmas...Then I will send you pictures of our celebration...
Yor birthay is coming soon :).
Yes , mine was the 2nd of november , so I turned 13 :)
You will turn 14 as stephie , won´t you?
Kisses friend
Priscila

Anonymous said...

Hi Zawan!!

I just had a question... I wanted to know what you were learning about in school now. I don't know if it is close to what I have learned and/or will learn. Please leave a comment with your answer...

Talk to you later~

:) Lauren

Anonymous said...

Hey,
That sounds like a really good book. I'll have to pick it up sometime..

Even if you're into more adult books, I think you'll like Twilight. My mom loves adult fiction and she absolutely adored Twilight. She re-reads the Twilight books all the time, as do I. I also read some adult fiction,but mostly young adult.

Another great book by Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight saga, is the Host. It's more of an adult fiction book, so you might like it. It's really confusing in the beginning, but once you get what's going on, it's amazing!!

hope to hear from you soon,
Mallorie =]