The Thief and the Dogs


The Thief and the Dogs is a popular novel by the Egyptian author, Naguib Mahfouz.


After being imprisoned for four years, Said Mahram is finally out of jail; he is seeking revenge.

All those who have betrayed him are now leading their own lives.
His wife and his once best-friend, Illish are now married and estranging him from his daughter, Sana. She is now six years old and doesn't remember him. Rauf Illwan, who was once his partner-in-crime and mentor, is now a wealthy businessman who wants nothing to do with him.

Driven by revenge, Said wants to take vengeance on all those people even if it the last thing he does, but eventually everything goes terribly wrong: he shoots two wrong people, gets caught stealing, and is being chased by the police.

Was revenge really worth it?

This was a very thoughtful, absorbing novel which is worth buying. It also has a very good message behind it.

My rating: 10/10 (highly recommended)


Naguid Mahfouz is a well-known, nobel prize-winning Egyptian author (passed away in 2006).
He has written over a hundred short stories and many novels.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... sounds realy good... Anyways like you asked, I am in the 8th grade. I just started my blog for school, actually. My Social Studies teacher set us all up with one.

Lauren :)

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!
Great book!
Here we have just started holidays so , I will have more time to read books.
I was reading (another time) a book called " The Fugitive" , it is great.
Kisses and keep in touch
:)
Priscila

Anonymous said...

Hiya Zawan
NICE BOOK! I hope to stumble upon it one day, or maybe search for it sometime in the library like a secret discoverer waiting to find their catch.
I cannot believe this person wants revenge so deeply and passionately that he takes action in such a terrible way! I see the devil has taken over him and he must shape up to become good! Whoever seeks revenge in such a disgraceful manner, revenge will devour them and take action against them.
By your rating and praise for this book, it makes me want to read it more and more!!
Stay in Touch
Nadine

Priscila said...

Hi Zawan!
Hope you are Ok.
That book "love in time of Colera" is Great.
I read the book and I also bought the movie.I loved it!!!
Congrats , you always choose the right book.
Keep in touch.
Kisses
Priscila

Anonymous said...

Hi Zawan
Thanks for commenting. Mmmmmm... I guess that they were being unfair to him but he still has no right to go over the line by seeking revenge in such horrible ways!! :(
Maybe he should get on with life... maybe he should speak to those who hurt him and yell at them saying whatever comes to mind. And let them feel bad about themselves. He should move on and just maybe marry someone else if he can... life is too short for revenge all the time.
Intriguing book this is!
Nadine